Thursday, March 29, 2012

bye, bye bassinet

I have been dreading last night for quite some time now. I am ashamed to say my 20lb. 4 month old has been too big for his bassinet for a while. But he sleeps so dern good in it! I mean, how many mothers of infants can say their baby sleeps all night? I can! & I don't mean most of the night, I mean all night. Like, 9pm-9am. Oh yeah. That kind of all night.

Oh, I remember the old Colby. "He's going to sleep in his crib" I would proudly proclaim with my giant pregnant belly & no parenting knowledge what-so-ever. Little did I know that after 9 months of toting him around & 30 gruesome hours of labor {followed by a c-section} you get pretty attached to the little booger. That coupled with the fact that anyone who really knows me knows that I am a bit clingy & smother-y {luckily not quite to the point of Alicia Silverstone}.
The husband says its the LET ME LOVE YOU!!! coming out in me. 
Heck, I cried when they took baby boy out of our hospital room for his bath!

So back to the point here... once we got home with our bundle of joy there was no wayyy I was letting him out of my sight. We had not purchased or registered for a bassinet but luckily my aunt had given us a hand-me-down bassinet for Momma & Daddy's house. It quickly moved to our house & is where baby boy has been spending his nights for the past few months.


Here are a few photos of baby boy in his bassinet. {sniff, sniff}


a week old, his first Aggie game {A&M vs. Texas}


Jackie learning to be a big sister {sob, sob}


look at my little turtle, always popping that head up


"You need to move him to his bed since he sleeps so well, you know?" said the husband numerous times. I would quickly change the subject, run to the other room to "clean" {HA!} or make myself have some type of a coughing/sneezing fit, anything really to make him forget what he had just asked me to do.

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous.
It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
                                                                --  Elizabeth Stone

So last night, I honored my husband's long time wish. Baby boy slept in his crib in his room by himself. {sniff, sniff} Yes, my heart slept all alone in another room.
Oh, how am I holding up you ask? Terrible. Awful. The husband held me as I sobbed next to baby boy's crib. He pulled me away as I sized it up & checked the weight limit to see if I could sleep in there with him if I had to. I am fairly sure I screamed "he might as well be in college!!!" at one point. I snuck in there by the light of my iPhone atleast a dozen times before being told to stay in bed. So then I used the old "I think I heard him make a noise" excuse a couple of times before retreating to my own bed with the harsh realization that he was okay without me.
{sniff, sniff}


Then I came down with a case of the what if?'s...
 "what if I can't hear him?"
 "what if he's cold?"
 "what if he's hot?"
 "what if he's scared?"


It got a little out of control. I thought I was going to have to be institutionalized. But alas, {I love using that word, makes me feel important} the husband kissed me & said "it'll be okay" & we he says that, I realize it always is. The baby creeping {as we are now calling it} had ceased for the night.


He woke a few times wanting his paci, but all in all, he slept well. Me? Well, pretty good considering I was without a heart {yes, I can get a bit dramatic}. He woke up at 7am ready to snuggle with Mommy. We laid in the big bed & read a few of his books before both falling back asleep until 8:15.


Here are a few pics of his beautiful nursery.


that's my hope chest from my grandmother being put to good use

this was a changing table but since he was never in his room, I converted it to a dresser

this is usually where we read

someone hand me the tissues, please!


I have learned something from this experience. That all those mommies who said enjoy every moment, they'll be grown before you know it, yeah, they know what they're talking about.


{colby}

1 comment:

  1. what a cutie! I remember those days :) enjoy them, they grow up so fast! :)

    ReplyDelete